It’s time for a Tip of the Week! If you are new to “We Live Inspired”, I sometimes share random tips to help make life easier for you. One of my favorite tips to share are money saving tips (Click HERE for the awesome archives where you can find out how I get freebies, discounts, and even make checks when I shop online!). I am the queen of discounts, deals , & freebies and started doing this about 10 years ago when times got tough financially (but that is a story for a different day). Today I am sharing a money saving tip with you on where I got my brand new name brand mattress (A Simmons Beautyrest) for over 60% off!! If you are stressed out over mattress shopping and costs, I can help.P.S.- I am NOT getting paid to share today’s tip with you- I just enjoy sharing my best kept “secrets” with people!
My old bed was pretty bad. I was still sleeping on a twin sized mattress (can you believe that?!)- the same bed I had used pretty much since college. The thing that bothered me most about it (aside from its smallness) was how jiggly it was! Even the slightest move from my cat was sort of like being at sea, (not an exaggeration-just ask my friend Becky who pointed it out when she came for a visit) and since I am unfortunately prone to vertigo at times this was not good. It was time for a nice, big “grown” up bed , but mattresses are so expensive! I knew I wanted at least a Queen size mattress. Especially since I would be moving this bed to our new home when my fiance and I got married. I just didn’t have a thousand dollars or more lying around (which is on the low end of what a good quality name brand mattress can cost).
After much research I came across the perfect online discount mattress store that would deliver the bed right to my home, AND take away the old one-for Free (there is also no tax and a 100 day money back guarantee)! The website is US-Mattress.com .
They ALWAYS have specials running, and usually it is at least 50% off plus an additional percentage off of that at certain times. They often have Queen size mattresses starting at just $299! You can also choose what kind of box spring you want to fit your bed frame and total mattress height needs (from low profile to regular box springs) , along with a bed frame if you need one.
Here are the brands they carry:
- Spring Air
- Sterns & Foster
Within each brand there are usually several lines to choose from as well (example a Simmons BeautyRest, Simmons BeautySleep, etc.)
Types of Mattresses they carry:
- Memory Foam
- Air Mattresses
- Adjustable Beds
- Inner Spring
Now it’s time to be Goldilocks and find a mattress that is just right :D.
As far as choosing a mattress goes, they do have a comfort scale rating to make it easy to choose the right level of firmness or softness for you. Lots of customer reviews too! So how do you pick a mattress that is right for you?
Here are some helpful questions I asked myself that led me to my perfect mattress:
- Firm, soft or in between? Do you have special health issues to consider (like joint or back pain)? You will want to choose a mattress that is the right level of support for your needs. I chose a plush pillow top with memory foam in it that has a firmer core so that I have both support and a soft, cushy upper layer. This worked perfectly for me ( I have had sciatic issues in the past).
- How high do you want your mattress to be? Do you mind higher mattresses that you have to climb up into or would you rather have something lower to the ground? Do you have a headboard/footboard to consider? ***Note: If you choose a thick mattress but don’t want a ladder to get in to bed, you can buy a low profile box spring for lower overall bed height. I went with a regular height box spring.
Check out how thick the pillow top is!
** Bekah’s Handy Tip** Keep in mind that mattress height also determines the sheets you will buy. If you get a thicker mattress, you will typically need to buy deep pocket sheets (which are easier to find now but sometimes are more costly).
- What size fits your needs? If you find yourself thinking a Queen sized bed is just a tad too small, and a King is too big, you may want to choose a California King. Just so you know what standard California King sizing is-it’s in between a Queen and King size width wise, but is longer than both (great for taller people!).
Here is a standard Mattress size chart for you (in inches-USA measurements):
Twin: 39″ x 75″
Twin XL: 30″ x 80″
Double or Full: 54″ x 75″
Queen: 60″ x 80″
California King: 72″ x 84″
King: 76″ x 80″
- Do you sleep with someone else and if so does their movement tend to disturb you? You may think of getting a mattress that has “no motion transfer”.
- What do you do in bed? For example- do you like to sit up and read or watch TV in bed? If so, you may not want a mattress that is firmer or more supportive. (I have also heard some couples say they dislike pure memory foam bed when it comes to intimacy because of their shock absorbency and lack of movement. Some say it is like wading through quicksand).
A great website to get more help on how to choose the right mattress for you is :
sleeplikethedead.com. This guy has done extensive research on mattress brands, materials, etc (& pillows too!). You can find comparison charts and even sleep hygiene/chronic insomnia tips on this site (he shares how he cured his chronic insomnia!).
With a combination of the above website, the questions I asked myself, and reading customer reviews, I was able to find my mattress! I chose the Simmons BeautyRest Classic Indian Cove Plush Pillow Top (say that 3 times fast!). It retailed for around $2,000 and I was able to get mine for around $650-700. I have had it over a year, and it doesn’t have body impressions yet. For a level 7 comfort it was a little firmer than I thought in the core, but I actually like it. It is really supportive, but yet has this super plush memory foam pillow top that molds to my body (yet not so soft that I sink into it too far). I don’t know if this is coincidence or not, but I haven’t had any knee joint pain or sciatica in the 12+ months I have had this bed! That is a pretty big deal, because I used to get crippling pain in those areas at least once a year and it would leave me pretty much bed or chair ridden for a week or so at a time. Even with my increased activity of gardening 2-3 hours a day lately, no pain. I am hoping it is because I have a better mattress now. More photos of it:
I love how plush and thick the pillow top is!
They update technology all the time, so that model is no longer available, but click HERE for the new replacement model called “Monument Valley”. It is a little more expensive than the one I bought last year, but still a significant savings.
Good luck finding your perfect bed for the lowest possible cost! Here is the website again: us-mattress.com.
Feel free to ask me questions, and I will see if I can help you!
Check out my other money saving articles for more highly discounted items, FREE stuff, etc.:
-How to Get Free Food for Your Birthday & Beyond! Click HERE
– Get FREE Gifts and Awesome Coupons (online) for your Birthday! Click HERE
-Where I got the best quality Patio Furniture for the Lowest Price: Click HERE
– How I MAKE Money When I Shop Online (I get real checks in the mail or PayPal deposits!) : Click HERE
– My Money Saving Online Shopping Secrets! (or how I get stuff ridiculously cheap or Free) Click HERE